Friday, November 21, 2008

Technology

I have come to realize the amount that I rely on technology at home, and although I am quite connected with everyone at home through SMS texting, email, phone calls, and my blog, it still isn't enough. Sometimes texts don't come through, and the phone reception isn't the greatest at times (overcast days, indoors, etc...). Also, for some reason the internet becomes painfully slow once the clock hits 12:00 noon. I feel it is good for me as I can't access everything as often or as quickly as I would like, but it is also so frustrating at times.

So, I have tried to step back and stop and think about my thoughts and why I am so frustrated. And I realize it is because at home I have access to unlimited technology at any time of day without issue. Here, I have to plan my access to internet by making a day trip into town and being incredibally patient with the slow, slow, slooooow computers and internet. Phone calls need to be strategic since the time difference to home is 8 hours and prime calling time for me means everyone at home is asleep or at work. Prime calling time for everyone at home means it is dark here with bad reception.

I am dealing though, and time is going so fast that before I know it, I will back in the land of instant, 24/7 availability, and it might be a little overwhelming at first, but I am looking forward to it nonetheless.

That's it for now, I'm at the end of my patience for today and am going to go grab some lunch and hopefully a beer (Tusker is the Kenyan beer of popularity - you should try it!)

Love always,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment